Monday, July 13, 2009

Naankataayi ( Indian eggless biscuits)


I love to bake. Baking is something I do when I want to relax and feel good. There is something surely soothing and comforting about the aroma that emnates the house while something is baking in the oven.
Naankataayis are traditional cardamom flavored indian cookies. You can find them in any bakery in india and also in most housholds. I am not really fond of the soft cookies we get here in the US. I prefer the crunchy, crispy texture of indian biscuits. These biscuits with ghee and cardamom in them taste fabulous and smell heavenly. This is my mom's recipe. She used to make them quite often. I feel nostalgic just looking at these biscuits.....























Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
2 TBS ghee
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups maida
1/4 cup fine sooji
2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Method

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix maida, salt, baking soda, cardamom and sooji in a bowl and keep it aside.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the maida mixture little by little and mix throughly. Add the ghee and make into soft dough. Make into small balls and place on a greased cookie sheet and bake till the biscuits turn slightly brown on the underside. Takes approx 15 mins.

Serve with hot tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment