Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Potato masala


I dont like potato. People give me surprised looks when they hear this. Yeah I know its almost everyone's favorite vegetable and a versatile one too. There are upteen number of indian potato recipes but I think potato masala is one of the simplest indian side dishes ever. It goes very well with poori, roti, dosa or idli. I got this recipe from my MIL when she came here to visit us. Its slightly different in consistency from the masala you get in restaurants and flavored with ginger. I made it for some friends we invited home and served it with crispy dosas.



















Ingredients
2 Large boiled potatoes
1 large onion finely chopped
2 inch finely chopped ginger
5 pods garlic finely chopped
2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 bunch coriander leaves
few curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1sp urad dal
2 TBS ghee/oil

Method

Mash the potatoes nicely with small lumps. Pour the oil/ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal,curry leaves, turmeric powder,garlic and ginger. Add the onion and a little salt and fry till the onions sweat out. Add the green chillies and mashed potatoes and fry for sometime. Add 1/2 cup of water and some oil if needed and let simmer for 15 mins. Garnish with coriander leaves. The consistency should be a little watery and not too thick.
Serve with crispy dosas or hot pooris!


No comments:

Post a Comment